Friday, November 5, 2010

A Comforting Stranger

I'm laying in the hospital bed listening to the steady beeping from my heart monitor.  I'm nervous.  I know this is an easy procedure, but that doesn't make me feel any better.  This is normal, right?  I mean, who wouldn't feel a little nervous when covered in electrodes and hooked up to so many monitors?


The doctor arrives.  Standing near my bed preparing me for the procedure is my nurse.  She looks to be nearing retirement age and continually calls me "honey" (generally something I don't care for, but today it's okay).  As my anesthetist is about to administer the anesthesia, my nurse looks down at me, and lovingly brushes the hair from my face. "Don't worry, honey.  Everything will be fine," she says (and smiles).  Instantly, I felt relaxed.  Who knew such a simple statement from a stranger could be so comforting?  


Amidst the hustle and bustle of our busy lives, we tend to forget the powerful impact of simple words or a gentle touch.  This evening as I thought about my nurse and her calming actions, I thanked God for placing her in my life today and asked Him to allow me to be that comfort for someone.  Let me offer the caring words spoken in a time of need, the loving hug to a friend or family member, or even a listening ear!


Too often, we forget to care for each other and revert to focusing on ourselves.  Living with this chronic illness for the past two years has helped me displace the self-centered mindset I think we all tend to get stuck in from time to time.  Trust me, it's harder than it sounds, but it can be life changing and empowering to expel the "me first" attitude!


"Don't worry, honey.  Everything will be fine."  Seven simple words that made a world of a difference.  Who could you comfort with seven words?

No comments:

Post a Comment