Sunday, October 24, 2010

Unexpected Clarity

Ear plugs are my friend.  I wear them almost every day to block out noises that, to me, are so abrasive and overwhelming.  From riding in the car, walking down the street, or just sitting in my apartment, they protect me.  The ability to hear people talking or other important sounds is still present, but these ear plugs eliminate all of the extra noise and offer a softening effect.  They remove the nonessential background noises that people normally disregard (but are paralyzing to me).  It's so perfect!  I pop these ingenious devices in my ears and, just like magic, everything seems more manageable.  

So, this got me thinking yesterday.  What if I applied this concept to my life?  These ear plugs clear out the unnecessary noises and make everything clearer.  This unexpected clarity--this relief--that comes from something so simple astounds me.  


I've come to learn that if I simplify my life and work to remove the clutter--the negativity, the guilt, the constant worry--things are smoother, easier to control.  The realization that everything will indeed be okay offers difficulties, especially when I'm in the situation.  But, hindsight is 20/20 and my tendencies to over-think things almost always prove foolish in the end.  I have adopted the mantra to live simply (and it's working!).  


Now, my ear plugs serve as a reminder that clarity and order are attainable, despite my difficult situation.  When I adjust my attitude and actions, a beautiful calmness appears.


No comments:

Post a Comment